Soup of the day

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Better safe than sorry

Okay, so today was the scariest day of my pregnancy to date. I have felt fabulous so far during this pregnancy, but today was a little different. After arriving at work and beginning to wait tables, I started feeling a little dizzy and kept blacking out. It was as if my vision was closing in from the sides. It scared me because I couldn't decide which table I would rather pass out on. I told my two best buds there what was happening and they were angels. They kept taking care of my tables and taking my orders, etc. I went to the back and sat down and called Will. Not sure what I thought he could do, but I wanted him to know. He looked on Web MD (I feel like Amy B. diagnosing myself on the internet-ha) and of course dizziness is completely normal in pregnancy. But to have not had any dizziness and then to have felt as bad as I did today, it was kind of hard to handle. I felt rough! I went to the back again and had some crackers and ginger ale which was no help. Finally about 1:00, the manager asked me if I wanted to go and I said yes. She had someone stay for me and I paid someone to do my closing duties. Right before I left, my left hand started going numb and then the inside of my mouth. Interesting! By the time I got to the parking deck the numbness had continued up to my forearm. I called Will and he told me to call the doctor. I called Dr. Woodford's office and spoke with a nurse who told me to come in immediately. Well, that makes you feel a whole lot better. I was only about 3 minutes away so it didn't take me long. I had an absolute breakdown on the way over. I called my mom to tell her I was going and she didn't answer so I had to leave her a message. I'm sure she enjoyed hearing that over voicemail. I literally lost it crying as the numbness continued all the way up to the top of my arm. I'm not really sure what I thought was happening, but I know that it wasn't something I wanted to happen. I finally remembered (last of course) to turn to God and pray about it and I immediately calmed down. I remembered how much I want His will for my life and after another moment of sniffles, I was much better. I arrived at the doctor's office and ran up the stairs (didn't bother with the elevator). I rushed inside, told them who I was and why I was there and they had me back in 3 minutes. First I had to weigh. Cause of course we need to know my weight at a time like this. Crazy! Then I had to do a urine sample. So random, but whatever! She finally took me in a room and took my blood pressure which was completely normal. By the way, by the time I got to the doctor, the numbness was all over my left arm and drifting down my back. When I got in there, however, it had gone away. Will got there about 3 minutes after I had gone in which was a huge relief. He was so sweet! Danielle Elliott finally came in and what a great woman she is. I'm not sure if I've ever met a more reassuring person in my life. She makes you feel like the world is at peace even when you are flipping out. Thank God for her! She took my blood pressure sitting down and then again standing up and sure enough it dropped. She felt like the majority of my problem was poor eating habits (in so many words-who would have thought that M&Ms for breakfast aren't healthy). I need to be eating more protein and resting more and not jumping up so quickly or changing positions so quickly. Hard to do at work, but we'll work on it. She prescribed me a day off from work (Thanks Danielle) and lots of fluids and protein for tomorrow. So all in all, she thinks the numbness was just from me getting scared and breathing hard and the more upset I got, the more it came up my arm. She told me we would listen for the heartbeat if that would make me feel better. Of course it would! She put the little thingy (don't know what it's called) on my belly with the cold gel and within seconds, she found the heartbeat! Wow, now this is an amazing sound! We got to see the heartbeat at 6 weeks but after 3 weeks you wonder if it's still there so to hear it is amazing. That was the best of pregnancy as of yet! Then she went ahead and had my blood work done which was supposed to happen at my visit next week and said that she would get the results back and let me know if I need to be taking iron. What a crazy day but I'd rather be safe than sorry! Tomorrow I'll be resting and eating lots of peanut butter if anyone gets bored and wants to chit chat!

10 Comments:

  • Girl you had me scared the whole time I was reading that. I guess I should have just skipped to the end to see the results, but I just kept reading. Whew...sounds like you had a rough day. Yeah you prob need to not eat m&m's for breakfast! HA!

    By Blogger Julie Young, At August 22, 2007 at 10:21 AM  

  • Glad you are all right. That was scary to read! Take care of yourself!

    By Blogger Cortnie, At August 22, 2007 at 10:32 AM  

  • Sweet Girl!! I got the dizzy spells with Liam, and I too get very little protein and iron, so I am prone to those anyway. You need to rest! So glad you and the baby are ok! The part about you running up the stairs was funny - at that point, I knew you'd be ok!
    Love you!

    By Blogger Gina, At August 22, 2007 at 11:15 AM  

  • So glad you got it checked out. First pregnancies are so full of weird feelings and sensations but I'd ALWAYS rather be safe than sorry. :)

    By Blogger Amy F, At August 22, 2007 at 4:22 PM  

  • By the way, ask Susan about the numbness. I think she had that really badly w/Heather or Josh.

    By Blogger Amy F, At August 22, 2007 at 4:23 PM  

  • Wow! That sounds like it was really scary. I am glad you are okay. I am really close by during the day if you ever need a ride to the doctor again. Take care of yourself.

    By Blogger Kimberly, At August 23, 2007 at 11:45 AM  

  • well good grief! i don't read your blog for a couple days and this is what happens! glad everything is alright!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 24, 2007 at 2:13 PM  

  • So glad you are feeling better! No, M&M's are not a good breakfast food. :-) You may have to force yourself to eat Lucky Charms or some other cereal that tastes like candy!

    By Blogger AllisonLK, At August 24, 2007 at 2:54 PM  

  • Melodie, I guess I am the last to know you are pregnant. Congratulations! So exciting. Try to not have any more exciting days like that one, ok? :)

    susan w.

    By Blogger LucisMomma, At September 12, 2007 at 7:22 PM  

  • Alright Mel....I'm ready for the next post.....what's new? I love reading...keep it up girl!

    By Blogger Scarlett, At September 13, 2007 at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home