Soup of the day

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Innocence, frustrations and disappointments


Where I found C when I walked in the house


Well, I'll start with the cute stuff. The other night we took the girls to Diebert park to feed the turtles and fish. Will wasn't exactly jumping for joy to go because it is such an ordeal now with 2 kids. He would have been happy just walking down the street but I insisted. Anything to get out of the house these days. He admitted later that he had a lot more fun than he expected to have. This picture is of her feeding the turtles some bread. She loved it too!
Here is a picture I took of the girls Sunday morning before me and Callan left for church. It is hard to get a good picture of the two of them because I don't trust Callan to hold Lizzie and so I have to prop her up on the boppy pillow which means that Callan can't get very close. Callan looks scared to even look at Lizzie.




The frustrations that I was going to blog about have turned into blessings. As you faithful readers all know Callan has been a slow grower during her short 18 months and we had several tests done and different doctors check her out just to make sure there wasn't anything wrong. Well Lizzie comes in the world at a whopping 8 lbs 9 oz so we just knew that she was going to be different than her older sister. When she left the hospital she was 8 lbs. 1 oz. At her one week checkup she had only gained 2 ounces so she was 8 lbs. 3 oz. Then at her 2 week checkup she lost an ounce putting her down to 8 lbs. 2 oz. I was really bummed feeling like we were on track to have the same issues that we've always had with Callan. Dr. Hamilton wasn't really concerned that she wasn't at her birth weight but he didn't like that she had dropped so he wanted us to come in 5 days later for a weight check. In the meantime I made sure to wake Lizzie up by putting a wet wash cloth on her skin to make her mad so that she would eat really good. I took her in yesterday to see how much she weighed and she had gained 12 ounces in those 5 days!!! She now weighs 8 lbs. 14 ounces. We were so shocked but excited!! (It takes Callan about 2 months to gain that much) Dr. Hamilton called me yesterday afternoon and he was so sweet. He was so excited about her progress that he doesn't want to wait to see her. He wants to bring her in again this Friday and again next Friday to make sure we are on the uphill climb. It wasn't exactly easy. I have had to pump most everytime before I fed her and then struggle to get her awake enough to eat but it is totally worth it. I would do just about anything to nurse her and not have to start out with formula. So I'll keep you updated but we are praising God and praying that she will continue to grow on a normal schedule. If she grows that much from here on out she'll be bigger than Callan in just a few months.

This last paragraph is a confession and why I am so disappointed. Yesterday morning I had a dentist appointment and I was told that I had a cavity. I know you are thinking this isn't a huge deal but let me tell you that I have never EVER in my entire life had a cavity. I was so bummed! I am so disappointed in myself for not flossing like I should (does anybody?). I hated to hear that but more than that I hated to pay for it. I've got to go back in a month to have Dr. Wilson use the laser on me but I'm so bummed because I can't say that I've never had a cavity anymore and I feel like I need to take out a loan to pay for this thing. It isn't cheap! Which is why I will leave you with this advice. Brush and floss daily! I know I will be!!

8 Comments:

  • So excited that Lizzie has gained that much weight and cannot wait to see what she weighs Friday. Be thankful for great doctors that care, huh? I know ya'll are thrilled and excited!

    By Blogger Bowerman Blessed, At September 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

  • So glad Lizzie's growing well! I'm so sorry about the cavity--I've never had one either and everytime I go to the dentist, I'm afraid they're gonna say I have one! I'd feel the same way, but hey--if you've gone 27 years without one, well...you're doing GREAT! I floss every once in a while but you're 'supposed' to floss daily. My dental hygeniest gets so mad at me because I don't floss. The plaque buildup can lead to heart disease--crazy but true! I guess I'll get you some dental floss for Christmas! HA :)

    By Blogger Scarlett, At September 15, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

  • Oh man! Sorry you have a cavity! I can tell you all about how it feels when they feel them if you would like?!?!? That is great news about L. (I figured since Callan is C, Lizzie is L) :)

    By Blogger Julie Young, At September 16, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

  • So glad Lizzie is doing good! And about the cavity, it may be because of the having two pregnancies so close. I have always heard it takes a lot from our bones and teeth even when nursing. Keep up your vitamins along with the floss:)

    By Blogger Kayla, At September 16, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

  • Julie, what dentist do you go to that "feels" your cavity? That sounds kinda creepy. Our dentist "fills" them. :)

    But actually, Dr. Wilson uses a laser so there is no drilling, no shot, no pain. It is awesome. If you don't use Dr. Wilson...you should!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

  • Yay for Lizzie! I am glad to hear things are getting better, except for the cavity:( The pictures are precious!

    By Blogger Ashley, At September 16, 2009 at 8:34 PM  

  • HA! Will that is funny! I didn't even know that I did that. I was like "what is Will talking about???". I guess I need to try and proof my comments first! :)

    By Blogger Julie Young, At September 17, 2009 at 8:00 AM  

  • Sorry about your cavity...that's no fun!!! Good luck with it :)

    Glad L is growing...she'll be a little heavy weight before you know it :)

    By Blogger Katie, At September 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home