Soup of the day

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Was it worth it?

Okay, so I've been telling you blog followers that I was going to give you an update on the cost of Callan's food. Someone even told me I would be the guinea pig for anyone else thinking about doing this. Also, a girl named Andrea found my blog through Scarlett's (I think) and wanted to know how I made it. I will be happy to tell you in a separate email Andrea. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! Well, I got my numbers together a while back but seeing as I didn't excel in math, I had to call my genius brother to figure out for me if it was worth it. He is super smart and graduated 3rd in his class with well over a 4.0. Sometimes I feel adopted! Anyway, he loves brain teasers and puzzles so I decided to call him today with all of the information and let him figure out the formula for me.

Here was my first scenerio for Shan...I paid $8.00 for apples and was able to make 54 cubes (ice cube tray cubes). I can fit approximately 4 cubes in one empty jar of the size 2 foods. The size 2 jars cost .46 cents each at Wal-Mart. So after all of his calculations it looks as though it would have cost me $6.21 to buy that same quantity of apples! Poop! I was so mad!! I actually went in the hole trying to make C's food. It is somewhat time consuming as well so I was really bummed about the outcome. It is totally not worth it for saving money! I didn't always go in the hole but I haven't saved enough to be worth it.

I talked to Kimberly since she made Henry's food and asked her if she ran into this problem and she said that she did it more for the sake of Henry eating the fresh food that she made versus the shelf stuff. No offense to Kimberly, but I've decided it isn't going to be worth it for us!

I should tell you though that I get apples and sweet potatoes free from my Paw Paw (except for this one time when I bought apples because I let Paw Paw's rot in my garage-sorry mom). So apples and sweet potatoes are worth my time because I'm not paying anything except for the saran wrap and time. Once he's done with the garden though, I'll probably just buy these 2 as well.

To give you a rundown, here are the rest of the results:
Mangos-lost some-not sure how many cubes I made
Peaches-lost .48 cents
Pears-lost $1.26
Bananas-saved $2.05

So while I highly encourage it for the freshness of the food, I highly don't recommend it for saving money. We will now stock our pantry with tiny jars of crazy foods-bought!!!

5 Comments:

  • I just laughed so hard at the results. It was like watching the electoral votes. ;) I'm glad you're joining the world of loser moms who just buy their kids' food. I say we do that for ALL our family - eat out every meal! No cooking!! lol Oh wait, that's only when we're all together.

    By Blogger Amy F, At November 6, 2008 at 7:03 AM  

  • I am glad you posted that b/c I was not planning on making Luke's food, but it is nice to know that it is not really costing me anymore to buy it. Thanks for the info. You should have called me to run the math for you. HA! I am like you brother, I love that stuff! I can hear you saying under your breath, "NERD!"

    By Blogger Julie Young, At November 6, 2008 at 7:44 AM  

  • I have to say I am really surprised! I just knew you were going to save some money! To Julie, don't feel like a nerd, I can run the math with you, we can be nerds together!

    By Blogger Caroline Bilstein, At November 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM  

  • YOu don't have to waste your time emailing directions to me.:) I thought making her food would save tons of money as well, but with 3 other kidos to feed, the baby will get the good old bought baby food.

    By Blogger andrea, At November 6, 2008 at 1:28 PM  

  • In the words of Swiper the Fox "Awe MAN!!!!!" (Don't worry---you'll be watching Dora the Explorer in another year or less! :) I guess I'm not gonna do it either. However, I do think it would be a good idea to do things like mangoes and avacados because they are very healthy and high in good fats and they don't make mango or avacado baby food. I'll probably do those myself to give Ava some more variety! :) I admire you for taking on the challenge!

    By Blogger Scarlett, At November 6, 2008 at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home