Soup of the day

Monday, September 15, 2008


I know that sounds like a weird title but that is what my sweet baby has been dealing with over the last few days. This may get a little graphic for you weak stomached kind. Sunday afternoon (right before church) Callan started grunting which is completely normal for her and usually hilarious for us. But this time it was different. Will and I both went into the living room where she was playing in the floor and knelt down beside her as she continued to do her business. The only problem was that it got stuck. She was having the hardest time! I can not explain in writing how bad she was straining and now crying. Amy heard her through the phone and couldn't believe how bad it was. I stayed in the living room with her while Will searched the internet (google nazi) to find a cure. He ended up calling Jeff Thompson from church (he is a pharmacist) to ask what he recommended. He told us to go to CVS and buy an enema (bless her heart). So he raced across the street and said he would have paid $400 for it because he hated to see her in such pain. I sang every church song I could think of to ease her mind while Will was gone. He got back and we proceeded to help her out with her business. Finally after about 10 minutes of our help, she will able to finish up. She immediately started smiling and kicking her legs, obviously feeling much better. This whole process lasted about an hour so we missed church but there is no way we could have gone. She would have grunted through our entire outreach group. She was exhausted from all her hard work so we gave her a bottle and got her ready for bed a little early. Well, half way through the bottle, she started grunting again. I felt so sorry for her having to go through this pain again. Anyway, after a few minutes and a little help from daddy and his rubber glove (that's right!), she was able to finish her business AGAIN! She finally felt better and was able to fall asleep within 2 minutes of laying her down.

Now, I had constipation one time while I was prego and I will forever have sympathy for anyone going through it. I could never imagine that it would be so painful but I remember laying on the couch crying because I was in so much pain! I felt even worse for Callan because there isn't a whole lot you can do for a person experiencing this. I had changed her cereal from rice cereal with apples to rice with DHA and RNA or something like that (mainly because Target doesn't carry the apple kind) but I quickly changed it back today. I will just have to make special trips to Wal-Mart for it. She had lots of apples today and a huge bowl of prunes just to make sure we don't have to go through this again. I hope your babies don't have to deal with this!

We just returned from the beach last Thursday so I'll post some pictures soon of our adventure!


  • At first, I thought you were blogging about me. :) Just kidding...kind of. Yes, everyone, I can attest. It was absolutely pitiful. Bless her little heart (or bottom). I hope the apples and prunes help. I hear Mom also had to help her a little yesterday. lol Sweet little girl!

    By Blogger Amy F, At September 16, 2008 at 7:59 AM  

  • Go to the oatmeal cereal!!!! Oh, and the karo syrup remedy really works too...

    By Blogger Scarlett, At September 16, 2008 at 9:09 AM  

  • Oh no!!! Bless her heart...hope she's doing better :)

    By Blogger Katie, At September 16, 2008 at 11:23 AM  

  • Poor Callan! It is funny the stuff you will do for your kids when they are in pain. Like Will with the rubber glove. I believe my child is about the only person I would do that for!

    By Blogger Julie, At September 16, 2008 at 2:25 PM  

  • I remember Jake being that way! Ty has no problems with that he goes 3times a day!

    By Blogger The Chandler Babies, At September 16, 2008 at 3:29 PM  

  • I also switched to the oatmeal cereal. It seemed to be easier on Jack's tummy. The karo works too. After he finally got regulated again, we can give him rice or oatmeal. He is also sensitive to the formula we use. I switched to use up a sample of similac I had and he didn't go for three days. Good to know we're not the only ones with teething issues, hope C feels better soon :)

    By Blogger Kayla, At September 18, 2008 at 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home