Soup of the day

Monday, March 31, 2008

7 days!!!

Well, my last post was about me having 9 days left until my due date and seeing as how I went 4 days early, I'm now posting about the 7 days after Callan's birth. Let me back up a little though and update you on what has happened in the last week.

Easter Sunday Will and I were on our way home from my grandmother's house and I developed a really bad headache. After several hours, Tylenol, and a nap, it still wasn't gone. The Dr. had told me to watch out for a headache that wouldn't go away because it usually means that your blood pressure is up. We stopped by CVS on the way to church Sunday night to check my blood pressure and it was sky high but different every time we took it. I called Jo Anne at church and she had Joyce Jones meet us in the foyer of the ROC to use the cuff to check my bp. It was definitely up and after talking with her and Dr. Freeman (who had just had coffee with Dr. Allen and told me that Dr. Allen was about to have dinner with Dr. Woodford-my Dr.) they all suggested I go to hospital and get it checked out.

By the time I got to the hospital and the nurse checked me out, everything was fine except my headache was still there. We told them to tell Dr. Allen (he was on call) not to worry about coming up there but he insisted on it. Well, little did I know that he was going to strip my membranes and cause me to dilate and go into labor the following morning. After an awful night (they gave me Ambien to sleep and apparently I cried for 25 minutes straight hysterically) my water ended up breaking at 8:15 Monday morning. We went to the Dr's office where Dr. Allen confirmed it and sent me on to the hospital. A quick stop at McDonald's for some apple dippers and we were checked into the hospital by 10:00. Long story short, lots of contractions, a fantastic epidural, the best care possible by Kathleen Stanfield and 13 1/2 hours of labor later, we had a sweet baby girl. She was born at 9:44 pm, weighing 7 lbs, 3 oz, and was 21 inches long. She was absolutely beautiful the moment she came out (sorry i'm biased).

We stayed in the hospital for 3 nights and left Thursday after lunch. We had tons of visitors and loved every minute of the attention (thank you friends and family). We got home and my mom came Thursday night through Sunday. She was a fabulous help. She did so much around the house and in the kitchen. I had a little bit of a breakdown when she left but recovered quickly. We had an exhausting weekend with tons of company and great food so far (thank you Cross Point). She has been so good it is scary. She basically feeds every 3 or 4 hours for 15 minutes and then sleeps or looks around for the next 3 or 4 hours. It has been wonderful. We have gotten lots more sleep than we thought we would and have adjusted well. I'm crossing my fingers that it lasts. I posted a few pictures of her first few days here in the world and I'm sure I'll post plenty more later. I am going to go rest up for the night's activities. Hope to see you all soon!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home